Friday, April 13, 2012

Why Not?


I like to rationalize with animals, but for the sake of this post I am making the "why not" motion.


Danny and I finally got around to renting, We Bought a Zoo the other night.  I say "finally" because I have been wanting to see this movie for a while.  It sure did not disappoint.  In fact, it was one of the better movies I have seen in a long time.  Danny even managed to stay up until after 10:00 p.m. to finish it.  For those of you who don't know that is a really big deal.

A common theme throughout the movie is the question, "Why Not?"  Question to Matt Damon's character: "Why did you buy a zoo?"  His Answer: "Well, why not?"  I have found myself pondering this thought since watching the movie.  It is such a sweet and idyllic response to what may be some difficult questions/situations/changes.  Big decisions I have had to make for myself to date have included (but are not limited to): where I went to college, what to major in once I got there, moving to Denver, marrying Danny.  Some of those were easier or more logical than others.  For the record, deciding to spend my life with Danny was the easiest.  He is an easy person to love. 

Still I find myself looking for that balance between an attitude of "why not" and knowing that I have certain responsibilities as a grown-up.  I mean I am 30 now, and so I am pretty sure that makes me a full-fledged adult (crap!) 

I have had a few back and forth thoughts as of late, searching for a situation or decision that I can confidently respond, "why not?"  Here are a few examples:
  •  Me: I want to join a Roller Derby team!  Response from my sisters: they would kill you.
    • Okay, so that's probably not a good idea.  Moving on...
  •  Me: I want to become an alpaca farmer!  I have talked myself out of this one since I don't know a thing about alpacas.
    • Plus the way I see it, it took me years to get Spike to pretend to listen to me, and I am pretty sure alpacas are more stubborn than your average pug.  Although the Spike-Monster is anything but average.
  • Me: I would like to be the first female offensive coordinator in the NFL!  Common response: they won't let you in the locker room with the players.
    • Well fine.  I will just continue to yell at the TV on Sundays, and hope that I amuse the people around me.  I also figure at some point someone with some clout on the various teams will start listening to me.  Please don't kill all my dreams.
Unfortunately, I think I need to wait for my "why not" moment.  Perhaps it's kind of like love, it finds you when you're not searching for it. 

Until then, I am going to count my blessings and work on my courage to say "why not" the next time the opportunity strikes!  Although much to my dismay, it will more than likely not be buying my own zoo.




3 comments

  1. "Why?" is a question that gets me in to trouble - becasue I forget that I am not in control, but the "Why not?" is what puts me into the land of possibilities and a more positive way of thinking. You are so true in saying that when you least expect it is when opportunities arrive because you are ot shutting the gate prior to the opportunity arriving. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I can't wait to see this movie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to see this movie too!

    One of John's friends from high school, Denise, grew up on an alpaca farm if you ever want to talk to her about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.