Friday, January 4, 2019

Football Friday: MITCH PLEASE


It's January and I am dusting off my blog, both as part of my 19 for 2019 (forthcoming list), and because I can write about my BEARS. In a positive light, no less, as we are in for bonus football (aka the playoffs). Considering the Chicago Bears have not been in this spot since 2010, I had to refresh myself on the terminology.

I do not like to dwell too much on the playoff run in 2010 as the Bears lost to the Packers in the NFC Championship Game. Yes, the Packers, the team that defeated the Bears in the "play or go home" game 17. Worse yet, the Pack went on to win the Super Bowl. All around, it was a dismal end to an otherwise solid season that included an NFC North Championship... 

Now it's January 2019, the Bears have claimed the title of NFC North Champions, and were again pitted against a division rival who had to win to make the playoffs. Both the opponent (Minnesota Vikings) and the outcome were different this time around. Perhaps Coach Nagy is a franchise historian who felt that one team from the NFC North in the playoffs was enough, or maybe he hates that stupid Vikings' horn as much as I do, or maybe he wanted to carry another win into the playoff. Whatever the reason, I was grateful for the result.

On to the post-season and a match-up with the defending Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles. The irony of this game is that I told Danny should Philly get in, they could cause some damage for teams. They are not the team of last year, but they seemed to have once again found their way under Nick Foles. As a Bears fan of 25+ years, I have to operate with cautious optimism and a huge helping of hope.

At the core of this hopeful optimism is the defensive Monsters of the Midway. While Khalil Mack is the face, the Bears D is also sending three additional players to this year's Pro Bowl: DT Akiem Hicks, CB Kyle Fuller, and S Eddie Jackson. Teams continue to prove that defense wins championships, specifically the Ravens and the Broncos of recent memory. The Patriots continue to enter into shoot-outs with teams and line up a defense that is good enough to get the job done.

This leads me both to a point of personal confusion, and the outer layer of my hope. This Bears' offense could be good enough to play against anyone. They employ a diverse offensive scheme, led by Nagy and his out of the box thinking, two different running styles in Cohen and Howard (HOOSIER), and Mitch Trubisky a quarterback who can run and limit the stupid mistakes.

Yet, it feels like the national media and my local Denver market analysts, seem to be focused on Trubisky as the lynch pin. Now I am cutting the Denver guys some slack as they seem bitter about how the Broncos are playing abysmal football and show no signs of figuring out a direction anytime soon. Case in point: Chuck Pagano made a strong impression on the front office. How is he different from Vance Joseph? I digress. I struggle to understand, however, why other people are so down on Mitch? Perhaps it's because of that aforementioned 25+ years of watching the Bears and their merry-go-round of quarterbacks that would take until next week to list; but Mitch and I are good. Was I concerned when the Bears jumped up in the draft to get him, yes. Was I annoyed that he is a Tar Heel, absolutely. Does he give me heart palpitations like Jay Cutler, absolutely not!

I believe that MT has the potential and athletic ability to be a very solid QB in this league. At some point he is going to have to start trusting his arm more than his legs, but for now he's a big kid who can become a running back as needed. The Bears offense also lacks a true, consistent number one receiver. While there are advantages to spreading the ball around, it has to be hard for a QB not to have that one guy who you know is going to catch the ball if Mitch gets in the general area. All the great QBs have had their favorite receiver. Mitch needs to find his, or Pace needs to get him one. 

I was not a Bears' fan in 1985, but I was 2006-2007 (Bears vs. Colts, Super Bowl 41). The Bears had a formidable defense, a ridiculous special teams dimension, and a blah QB by the name of Rex Grossman (Sexy Rexy). The 2015-2016 Denver Broncos (Super Bowl 50) had a powerhouse defense and an end of his career, Peyton Manning. Manning did not win that Super Bowl, Von Miller was the MVP for a reason. Super Bowls 35 and 47 went to the Ravens and their dominate defenses. I have heard comparisons between this Bears team and the Broncos of Super Bowl 50. Relax JDP (Danny), I am not saying that Mitch Trubisky is Peyton Manning. I do, however, believe that sometimes the biggest impact a QB can have is staying within his lane and his own skill set.

So... MITCH, PLEASE play your game and BEAR DOWN.

Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.