Monday, February 27, 2012

Walking the Labyrinth







This past Saturday I went on a retreat with my Mom called "Honoring the Sacred Within."  I have not been in a retreat setting for years, and it was something that I felt that I really needed amidst the chaos of things right now.  One of the highlights was walking the labyrinth, similar to the one above, only it was indoors and on the floor.  A little background on a labyrinth, "the winding path that is walked today is walked in prayer and meditation dates back to 12th century European cathedrals particularly in France and Italy.  Many feel that the Labyrinth allowed for miniature pilgrimages in substitution for the long journeys to Jerusalem expected of penitents.  The Labyrinth is viewed by some as taking one to a holy place.  The ancient tradition is silent prayer in motion, a blue-print for the sacred meeting of mind, body, and heart."

Now I would like to share my experience. 

I started out by writing a request for God on a slip of paper.  This was helpful for me because it gave me something to do with my hands, and for anyone who knows me, this is essential.  Then I started walking - one foot in front of the other - all good, right?  Well I bumped into two of the other ladies also in the process of walking the labyrinth.  Just for the record they were walking out of the labyrinth as I was walking in.  This caused me to start worrying that I was doing something wrong, which has been a common thought as of late.  I forced myself to realize that thought was ridiculous even for me, and so I let it go.  Once I did that I started telling myself to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and I will get where I am supposed to be.

This thought led me to wish that my life came with bumpers like at a bowling alley or on the labyrinth - something to keep me on the right path.  There are times where I wish there had been a "straighter" course to Danny or a "straighter" line to Denver; perhaps that would make things a little bit easier.  Yet those diversions, those mistakes, those life experiences helped shape who I am.  And that is okay.  I realized while walking that labyrinth that it is okay if life is not always straight - it is still good.  I am grateful for the path that I am on in thanks to God working in my life.

This retreat was a special time spent with some amazing women, many of whom have had a very profound impact on my life.  There was also one very courageous and sweet man that I had the pleasure of meeting that day.  He thinks it's very cool that Danny and I are getting married at Coors Field.  Plus he really likes my parents.  So he and I are all good!

2 comments

  1. It was a joy to share the retreat experience with you. What you wrote here was beautiful. Thanks for sharing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.