Thursday, February 23, 2012

All that is Spike


Spike and I recently celebrated our three-year anniversary.  Three years ago my world was changed for the better, and I hope the same can be said for him.  He came to me from the Colorado Pug Rescue, which provides the following information (and more) for people who are considering a pug.  Their belief is that a pug is not right for everyone, and so they want to educate people so that you know what you are getting yourself into.

DID YOU KNOW...
  • Pugs shed a lot.   A lot does not really even begin to cover it.  Spike has left remnants of himself everywhere I have ever gone.
  • Pugs snore.
  • Pugs were bred to be companion animals. They NEED to be with their people. They can have behavior problems if they can't be with you. This means they can seem "clingy" or "needy." If you want an aloof, detached dog, you don't want a pug!   See the picture above for proof.
  • A pug's bulgy eyes are susceptible to injury and to medical problems caused by dryness.

The last point speaks to his one eye.  For those who don't know the story, his first owner had allowed an infection to progress when he was brought to the CPR.  The rescue was in the process of raising the funds to fix it when it got poked by one of his little foster brothers.  As the story goes the really sad part is that was his good eye!  The one he has left has a ruptured ulcer on the tip, and so he sees about 85%.  The Spike-Monster really does seem to do okay for himself.  Danny and I do our best to take care of the eye he has left.

Spike-bike is my little boy, and is one truly spoiled pug.  It is so easy to love something that loves you so unconditionally.  He loves me just for walking in the door - how cool is that?  My Mom got me a great magnet that says, "I want to be the person my dog thinks that I am."  It's true - every day I try to be worthy of the love of my Spike.

    1 comment

    1. He's sure made a pug lover out of me. Labs are my favorite big dog and Pugs my favorite little dog, and of course there is no prejudice there! :)

      ReplyDelete

    © Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.