Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Spike Series: Meet my Sister, Ceres

Two Peas in a  Momentary Pod


Hi, people, Spike here! First things first, I want to use my Constitutional right to air my grievances. My woman has not posted anything in many days, which means telling you all the story of my road trip back in JULY has not happened yet. Then she goes and compounds that by making her first post of 2015 about my new sister, Ceres. I don't know why I am shocked though, Ceres is taking a lot of my stuff, so why should my blog series be any different. Oh well, The Man says I have been a champ about everything else so I will try to be good about this too... Everyone I want you to meet Ceres.

Proof she gets fed

My people adopted Ceres from the Colorado Pug Rescue, which is the same organization that brought Laurie and me together. The Man and my Laurie were not really actively looking for another dog, but after reading about her story on Facebook she touched their hearts. Ceres, aka Siren or Baby Girl, is believed to have been part of a puppy mill and was either hit by a car or thrown from a car. Either way no one came to get her from the shelter where she was taken, and so the Pug Rescue helped her get better, just like they did for me! Ceres has had surgery on her hips, some teeth were pulled, and she has been spayed. Everyone keeps saying she is extremely well-adjusted for everything that has happened, and are also amazed at the fact that she does not need any on-going medication. She one ups me there as I still require twice-daily eye cream.

She came to us with the name Siren (because she does this occasional whine/howl thing that kind of sounds like a siren), but her foster parents had taken to calling her baby girl. Either way she did not recognize her name, so The Man proposed changing it to Ceres. Laurie wanted to keep it as Siren, so they took it to Facebook; well as you can already tell, she lost. 

Why Ceres? 

A picture of Ceres taken by the Dawnspacecraft 12 February 2015. 

When The Man first proposed the name, Laurie thought he was saying Siri (the Apple Woman) because she is not a science NERD like him. Then he explained that Ceres (minor-planet designation 1 Ceres/ˈsɪərz/is a dwarf planet located in the asteroid belt, which lies between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. Considering how tiny she is (about 14 pounds soaking wet), the name seemed to fit. Plus, I reiterate, Laurie lost.

So how are things going in our house? Honestly, they are going well. We had a couple minor setbacks - it was really cold the other day AND the WHITE STUFF came back so she and I both struggled with it. Then there was the matter of "during the day" sleeping arrangements. My people bought Ceres an enclosure, a soft kennel type thing, that she Houdini-ed out of in about three seconds; so they tried me in it. I was not loving that option, which means we are experimenting with us each having our own bed in the powder room. Fingers crossed, but that seems to be going okay - although Ceres and I seem to entertain ourselves with musical beds because she STEALS MY BED! Still, I move out of her way, share my toys as needed, and even share snuggles with my Laurie, which is kind of a really big deal...



Although the snuggles and the day-time bed sharing does bring up an even larger concern - sleeping arrangements in the big bed at night. Laurie has this theory that I grow bigger in the bed, kind of like those magic growing capsules that turn into a shape in water. So you can imagine that two pugs and two people has brought about conversations of getting a king size bed. Until that happens, I have taken to throwing myself against Laurie to the point that she almost falls out of the bed because Ceres has taken the prime real estate (in between my, I mean our people). Still the picture below, taken this morning, would indicate we may be figuring things out. More to come from the soon to be called, "Spike and Ceres Series," but I still get one more post to myself when Laurie finally lets my tell the story of my really long road trip!




 



Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.