Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Something of a Quest for Domesticity

http://peoplemag.tumblr.com/post/29856390179/

I recently used this Phyllis Diller quote when I was asked how Danny and I divvy up those pesky "adult responsibilities." The listener nearly spat beer all over me; while I like to feel funny, that would have been a little extreme. For better or worse, it fits me to a tee. Segway, next story. Back in November (about two months after our wedding), Danny was asked about my cooking skills - answer: non-existent. The gentleman was stunned; no really, I checked the table to be sure his eyes had not fallen out of his head. Somewhat distressing,  but can be called a generational moment. Although this gentleman did introduce me to Roland Hemond who let me wear his White Sox World Series ring, so I think I can call us even somehow.

I am 31 years old and I have lived to tell my tale, even without really knowing how to cook. The primary reason: I do not enjoy eating. I do it out of necessity, but it's not something I am going to seek out with the true exception of sweets. I have a terrible sweet-tooth; blame the Killmer side, namely my Grandpop who would not let me buy reduced fat ice cream because it was "not. exciting. enough." direct quote. I love my Grandpop.

I believe I am finally ready to try making real meals. My goal is at least one new recipe/meal per week. So far, so good; in fact I am even building a real pantry! Danny offers some supervision to be sure that I do not poison him or our guests, but the few things I have tried thus far have been deemed worthy of repeating. In a real twist of fate, Danny is also a picky eater; but in a different way than me. Although we both share the fear of eggs (phew!). My point: he would tell me if he didn't like it! Neither of us hide disgust well. Next up, grilled romaine with corn. Danny will be in charge of the grill, mainly because I need to let him keep some aspect of the stereotypical "male domain"/"man-card" - I kind of stole it in the sports arena... 

Over the weekend, we went to the Old Glory Antiques Fair and came home with something that has become our menu board. It was an old cabinet door that was painted to include a chalkboard component. I have been wanting a menu board for a while because as you know by now, I like lists. The hope is that it will take out a lot of the guess work if the menu is planned a week at a time. 

I really think this quest for some sense of domesticity will be the start of my own version of a Happiness Project. I did just finish her second book on the subject, which I take to mean I need to do one of my own. 

If you have any good (read: simple), healthy recipes please feel free to send them my way! I am really giving this a try.


Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.