Thursday, June 13, 2013

Me an Ironmate? Probably Not, but I am Trying


As you probably know Danny registered for IRONMAN Wisconsin (September 8, 2013) in the days leading up to our wedding. At that time the event was about a year away, but that is when registration opens, and with a limited number of $650 slots (as opposed to the Ironman Foundation slots $1,300) he needed to be on top of it if he was going to do it. All I remember about the registration process is that is sold out quickly, and that I was pretty freaked out. I would like to think that under different circumstances I may have asked questions to feel more prepared, but honestly I am not sure I would have known what to ask since this was all very new to me. 

Before I go any further, let me be clear:
  • I am damn proud of my husband.

  • He was worked very, very hard to get himself ready.

  • Did his timing suck? Absolutely, even he will admit that.

This post is in response to a boppy, energetic young woman who wrote, 10 Things I Learned About Dating An Ironman. I don't know how Danny found it, or what on earth possessed him to send it to me; yet find and send it he did. So here is my "less than boppy" response because let's face it I am not an overly boppy/dynamic person under the best of circumstances. Except perhaps when the turrets takes over while watching sports, but that is a whole other post for a different day.

When I first read her list, I found myself feeling like a terrible spouse/partner. Here are a few of the phrases that sent me over the edge...

... You’ll finally put all those childhood cheerleading skills to use. You’ll get to go on “racations.” Last year, we went to races in Sonoma and Napa. Being the spectator, I could sit on the sidelines sipping wine and working on my tan while cheering him on. Not too shabby if you ask me.

The thought of taking more than one “racation" is not particularly appealing, nor do I drink wine and I burn. I am getting on board with the "beercation" idea, and perhaps I could come up with a catchy expression to explain my incorporation of baseball into vacation as applicable. A majority of my vacation, and basically all of Danny's in 2013 will revolve around Iron Man Wisconsin, one year of that is probably enough for now. Again in the spirit of fairness, Danny suggested a couple stops on the trip that would be fun for me too: Antique Archeology in LeClair, Iowa - home to American Pickers on History, and Field of Dreams on the return trip. There is also a trip to Miller Park in Milwaukee that is being squeezed in because that's what we do. Hopefully by September I will find a cowbell (*sigh*), as well as an inner-cheerleader, perhaps somewhere in the tips of my toes. Fortunately my parents and sister are planning to be there with me - my Mom is a great cheerleader, my Dad has triathlon experience, and Steph watched our brother-in-law, John compete in his Ironman last year. Phew - people who know what to do.

My “interior design skills” now include decorating the apartment with silly slogans that are funny only to triathletes and those who date them. I’ve also learned all the Ironman lingo, know a ton about “cadence” and “heel strikes,” and have great new skills in ringing cowbells. Plus, I have new appreciation for the “Mom Bag” and carry one full of everything anyone could possibly need. BandAids. Muscle Milk. Ice Packs. Advil. Clif Bars. You name it, I’ve got it.

Under the guise of my Off the Path series, Danny convinced me to buy and read INSIDE Triathlon. Really he just wanted a guinea pig since he has never read this publication, in fact he has a subscription to a competitor (Triathlete magazine). So read it I am to try to get a handle on the lingo/concepts. I don't like the term "Mom Bag," but I do carry a version of my own. People mock me until I bust out what they need (Kleenex, Tylenol, etc.) Our house will not be decorated with silly slogans - I am not that clever.

The original post was written by Rebecca in 2012. I hope she and Jared are still together because it is clear that she loves and supports him. I picked myself up off the floor of self-despair with the reminder that they are dating, which is very different than being married to an IronMan in training. The biggest difference is that Danny and I together, have had to find a way to fund this endeavor. Amidst the financial challenges of 2013, some expected: buying a house; some not expected: replacing Danny's car; paying for this has been the real source of contention. Being a triathlete is not for the faint of heart or the poor in pocket. It is an expensive sport - mainly because you're providing equipment for three individual sports! I have been assured that the big purchases are behind us.

The other point of contention has been the time commitment. There is even a blog dedicated to spouses that call themselves IronWidows (IronWidows is the site for all of you that have significant others out training for endurance events. It's time to understand your side of the endurance training story!)

To his credit Danny has been very good about working out in the morning before work although I could have done without the alarm going off at 4:00 this morning, especially since he did not leave the house until 6:30ish. Still the weekends are devoted to longer workouts, which means less time at home for silly adult responsibilities or just quality spousal time. While the house and Danny's work move has created less time together in some ways with a longer commute and longer hours, the move has helped alleviate a major issue - we no longer "have" to share a bathroom! The guest bathroom is now home to his dirty workout clothes, while it sounds silly not having those gross items mixed in with my stuff has been very nice.

I was procrastinating one day, and came across the t-shirt above. I decided it was self-aggrandizing to buy it for myself, so if Danny considers me to be his IronMate - that would feel really good. Just know that I am doing the best that I can to be as supportive as possible.
All I know for certain is that on Sunday, September 8 after driving to Madison, Wisconsin I will be ringing my cowbell and yelling with great pride (which will be an improvement over the frustration induced yelling) as I watch Danny accomplish this crazy goal that has been a year in the making.

Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.