Monday, November 12, 2012

Social Security Card Mishap, White Sox World Series Ring, Stitches, and a Fantasy Football Implosion


The title of this post is a summation of this three-day weekend.  In honor of Veteran's Day (bank closed), I took the day off to spend it with Danny.  Who knew it would turn into a day of rest (and Waffle Brothers!) following a crazy weekend.

At the beginning of last week I started the name change process (oh the horror) at the Social Security Office.  I arrived about 7 minutes after the office opened yet still waited just over an hour even though technically there were only three people ahead of me in my category.  Upon receiving my card on Friday afternoon, I promptly threw it in the dumpster.  Unfortunately I did not realize it until Saturday morning; by that time the garbage had been picked up.  No, I was not trying to tell Danny something in my actions, but perhaps Spike was since he was technically the reason I was throwing things into the dumpster.  I believe you can figure out what I was doing without spelling it out...

Saturday did take a turn for the better when Danny and I went to the Denver Rotary Club's Branch Rickey Award dinner that recognizes professionals in Major League Baseball for their exceptional community service.  The recipient this year was R.A. Dickey, knuckle-ball pitcher for the Mets was great to hear, but a past recipient, Roland Hemond (front-office for the Chicago White Sox) was my favorite part of the night.  Woody Paige of ESPN and the Denver Post was at the table next to us, but he left before I could ask him about the seemingly arbitrary scoring of Around the Horn; I digress.  At the end of the night, the event's founder introduced me to Roland Hemond as a die-hard White Sox fan.  He offered to let me take a picture wearing his World Series ring (one of two that he owns, but I did not care so much about the Diamondbacks ring)!  It was heavy and took up most of my thumb, but I sure had fun wearing it for a couple moments.

This brings us to Sunday - the day of stitches and an absolute implosion of BOTH my fantasy football teams!  The stitches were not for me, but I did get to drive Danny to the urgent care facility (after I called his insurance to find out which urgent care facilities we could go to).  He was very brave while getting five stitches in his hand after stabbing himself with a paring knife trying to core an apple.  While he assures me that it was not a cry for attention; I am not completely sure as a friend and I were just about to start a Hallmark Channel movie when he cut himself.  I am not kidding, it was pretty instantaneous...  Please draw your own conclusions.  Danny also had to assuage my concerns during a particularly narcissistic moment when I found myself crying because I was worried that I had not cared for him properly.  There are times that Danny deserves a medal for putting up with me.

Now to the football - I refuse to talk about my Bears other than to say neither male in the house helped me watch it on a delay.  In fact Danny was in bed while Spike snored on my lap - talk about defying gender stereotypes!  Anyway, I am in two fantasy football leagues, the family one and Danny's branch league.  Going into the weekend, I was in second place proudly contributing to the Killmer family domination, and a respectable fourth place after completely dismantling and then rebuilding my team in the work league.  Well, neither of my teams came close to breaking 100 points, in fact last I checked they were having trouble achieving 75 points.  If you are not familiar with fantasy football, this is NOT acceptable; especially if you are trying to make the playoffs.  Here's hoping that my teams turn themselves around on all football fronts.

Tomorrow (Tuesday), I will go to the DMV to get a new driver's license (definitely ready for a new picture); but an embarrassing phone call will also be made to the Social Security office to get yet another new card.  If the person sounds friendly, I may tell them the truth; if not, I will claim it never came.  Nobody said changing one's name is an easy process, but this is sheer ridiculousness!

Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.