Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Where I'm From

Weekend acquisitions from the Vintage and Antique Show
Over the weekend, I attended a women's mini-retreat, "Stories We Live By" at my church. I always enjoy this type of opportunity, mainly because it helps me meet people that perhaps I would not have met otherwise. It was also a chance to connect with girlfriends for dedicated time amidst the busyness. I am grateful to so many of these ladies as they were an integral part for helping me "make it" in Denver.

I enjoyed everything we did throughout our time together, but I had a great time writing our own story/poem based on "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon.
After some additional work, and some slight deviations, may I present my own version:
Where I'm From
I am from Lemon Rice Soup,
from Philly soft pretzels, Tastykakes, and Peanut M&Ms
I am from the East, Midwest, and now West as in Denver, Colorado.

I am from too many baseball games to count, college basketball, and Chicago Bears football.
I'm from Bill Peet's books, the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, the Berenstein Bears,
Shirley Temple movies, and Knoebel's Amusement Park.
from the ever-involved Mark and Suzanne Killmer and two sisters, Denise and Stephanie,
I'm from the Samaritan Ministry, the Colorado Pug Rescue, and Wayne, Westminster, and Wellshire Presbyterian Churches.
from the campus of Indiana University in Bloomington, specifically a duplex on Woodlawn to home plate of Coors Field to a new duplex in Lakewood.
I'm from the boxes and boxes (and boxes) of letters in my closet that remind me how lucky I am, and how many people I have loved, and loved me in return.
I am from the places I have been, to the people I have met; and now, I am at the corner of "I am glad to be here" and "what in the world am I doing."

1 comment

  1. Laurie,

    Enjoyed the reflections. Sounds like it was a good retreat. Glad to see that the Hardy Boys made the list. You were the third generation of reader - I wonder if there will be 4th?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.