Thursday, June 14, 2012

Traveling to Tahoe "Salisbury Style"



You may remember Jenni and Heather Salisbury from an earlier post about our bridal party as they will serving as the usherettes.  On the first of June, I set out for a girls' weekend in Lake Tahoe, or as I referred to it "traveling Salisbury style."  I have long admired Jenni and Heather's travel adventures, and earlier this year I decided to ask if I could experience it firsthand.  I emailed Jenni that I was looking for a trip this year that could take me away from the chaos (aka wedding planning/daily life), and she promptly responded with the trips she had lined up for the year.  The one that jumped out was Lake Tahoe:  I could cross two states of the list, stay at a beautiful hotel, and spend four days with both Salisbury ladies - SOLD! 

For the second time in two weekend trips,  I really had no idea what to expect nor did I come with an agenda.  With the exception of a Lake Tahoe Starbucks mug, I was determined to bring one home for Danny.  Have you seen the city/state series from Starbucks?  I was completely unaware of their existence before Danny and I started dating, but now I am bringing them back from many of my trips.  They do not exist for every place, but I usually know ahead of time if I should look.  I told Jenni about this endeavor, and she assured me it wouldn't be a problem since there is a Starbucks very close to our hotel.  Famous last words...

After visiting about 10 Starbucks, I had to give up on the Lake Tahoe mug for now.  I did not come home empty handed though, as I found a California State Mug.  The Starbucks in Truckee, California may be willing to mail me one for Lake Tahoe if they ever get them back in.  Apparently there is back-order at the factory or some such silliness.  I have not quite resorted to E-Bay, but that is an option.  A random factoid about Truckee, California, I am convinced that mustaches are mandatory and handle-bar ones are highly encouraged since we saw a disproportionate number of them on the men in town.

Here are a few of the non-Starbucks related highlights: s'mores, mini-golf (three holes in one), driving around the lake, slot machines, and my personal highlight a ride on the Hyatt Catamaran.  For a majority of the trip, but specifically for those two hours on the boat, I figured out how to relax.  As we are being served drinks and fruit and cheese I had this moment of, "oh, this is what I work for;" that and Spike, Mickey Mouse ears, cupcakes, sporting events, and the true essentials.

I am so grateful to Jenni, Heather, and Danny for giving me the opportunity to get away from everything for a little while.  Also on the trip, my Mom reminded me that it is healthy to get away.  She also taught me that the word sabbath in Hebrew means to "vacate" to set apart from your regular routine, to set apart by doing something different.  Well that's what I did!

To end the trip, I had a loving fiance who picked me up at midnight from the airport - it doesn't get much better than that.  My hope is that more of my future trips can be done "Salisbury Style."







4 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few misspelled words - that is why I deleted and reposted!

      Delete
  2. Remembering that even God rests! I know He/She approved of your gifting yourself with this time away from your routine. And I'm sure you let God know you approved of the great job She/He did on the first 6 days of creation as I've heard Lake Tahoe is BE-U-TI-FUL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bringing friends along "Salisbury Style" it's the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.