Monday, January 30, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake (Pops)

Non-traditional.  That is the best word (albeit hyphenated) that I can use to describe the wedding that Danny and I are planning.  Creating an event that suits us has been more important than letting tradition or "shoulds" dictate what will happen that day.  I got a very supportive email from a family friend telling me to do what we want that I reference regularly when I start questioning our direction (thanks, Priscilla!).

Ironically one of the first traditions we threw out was the massive wedding cake concept.  I say ironically because I am a big fan of anything chocolate and/or sugary, but I am not such a fan of wedding cake.  Solution: cake pops (cake on a stick)!  I was quite relieved when Danny agreed to that idea without a fight.  We saved our fighting for other decisions, apparently.  Perhaps I will talk about that later on, but anyway for now I am talking about cake!  My exposure to cake pops has come through Starbucks.  Yes, Starbucks the land of many decisions provided me the inspiration for our wedding dessert.  I am a big fan of the birthday cake flavored cake pop and the peppermint brownie cake pop!

So I went on the search for a maker of cake pops.  Through a friend I found a very talented baker in Chicago, but she proved to be out of our price range.  After all, I am a girl on a budget here.  Rather disappointed, I turned to my wedding planning savior - GOOGLE!  I actually discovered that there are not very many places in Denver that advertise making cake pops - in fact, I found two.  I am not used to being ahead of the curve, but on this front we just may be.  Danny and I decided that we liked the look of one over the other.  This led to a tasting yesterday for us and two very nice volunteers (hey, free cake) at Lil' Bite Kakes by KimThe business is run by a husband and wife duo who are doing this as a side business.  It was so wonderful to stumble upon people who are willing to work with us to create the dessert we want.  Plus they taste so good - bonus!  I am absolutely over the moon that the idea I had can actually come to fruition!



2 comments

  1. It's the perfect idea for you both. Can't wait to see them that day!
    P.S. This is the first post that you didn't write "But I digress." I like that and think it should be your trademark as a blogger and you caninclude it as BID - better know as LAK blog speak! I like it when you digress!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to how delicious they are...especially when it is shaped like a mountain. :)

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.