Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Spike Series: My Role in the Broncos - Patriots Game Disaster


Hi, people, Spike here to regale you with my side of the debacle that was Sunday football in the Pechie household. I was already having a rough go of it since my had Laurie left me the Saturday morning before, not to return for many days. So I was already off my game, which was only compounded by the awful play of both the Bears and the Colts on Sunday. The man is not convinced the Colts realized what state they were supposed to be in (Arizona); while the woman is truly annoyed at the Bears for blowing an opportunity to take a lead in their division. There was still some hope that the Broncos would beat the Patriots on Sunday Night Football.

Then the man went and botched it up for Broncos Nation by telling my Laurie that I was going to become a Broncos fan in her absence, oh the horror!  Here is my story, the parenthesis represent what the woman should have said if she had not been so upset - she does not always think so well in the moment. My thoughts are italicized as I don't always let the Man speak for me!

The Man: Tonight I (Spike) root for the Man's Orange and Blue team.

My Laurie: No!!! (Don't do it!)

The Man: It's too late, he is a Broncos fan now, mu-ah (he tried to soften the blow by sealing it with a kiss).

My Laurie: You're pushing your luck! (She meant in terms of their relationship, but in hindsight it could be construed that he was pushing the luck on behalf of the Broncos).


This is me, standing in protest to what the man was telling my Laurie on my behalf.

Laurie and my Grandpop (her Dad) had been driving all Sunday, so she did not make it through the second half of the game. When she went to bed, the Broncos had a nice lead, and looked in control of the game. Much to Laurie's chagrin, perhaps my being a Broncos fan was helping the team as the Manning-Brady rivalry has always been a tough game for Peyton. 

Then the second half happened. Here is a recap from ESPN.com:

The Patriots lost fumbles on their first three possessions, and they were booed several times in the first half.
But Brady threw for three touchdowns to lead the Patriots back from a 24-0 halftime deficit against the NFL's best offense for a 31-24 lead as New England scored on its first five possessions of the second half. Then Manning threw an 11-yard scoring pass to Demaryius Thomas for the Broncos, tying it at 31.
Then a punting duel ensued and a live ball hit the leg of a backup cornerback. 
Tony Carter ran into Ryan Allen's punt after it bounced, Nate Ebner recovered for the Patriots at the Broncos' 13-yard line, and Stephen Gostkowski kicked a 31-yard field goal with 1:56 left in overtime to give the New England Patriots a 34-31 win over the Denver Broncos on Sunday night.
Laurie: I miss you, JDP, and my Bears-loving Spike.
The Man: Sorry, he is a Broncos-loving Spike now.
Laurie: Don't you buy him a jersey unless you use your own money! (Mature, I know)
MeI have a Bears jersey and a Rockies jersey - I think that's enough, but then the Man starting playing dirty by sending this picture with the following explanation:

This is Spike's reaction to not owning a Broncos jersey. 
The Man: Spike was upset that the Man bought a Bears jersey instead of a Broncos one. After all, he is the only native
Me: Truth be told, I was sad at the fact that the Bears lost, and I really miss my Laurie.
My Laurie: James! (You're really tempting fate now!)

The hope is, based on the outcome of the game, that the Man has learned his lesson. 
I may be a Denver-Native, but I love my Laurie and am now and forever a fan of the Chicago Bears - even when they make her yell and scream at the TV. That happens pretty frequently, and scares me a lot.
Until next time, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! I get a special treat today, but it does not compare to what you all are going to eat. And GO BEARS!

Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.