Friday, August 31, 2012

Change is a Coming {Five Minute Friday}




I just stumbled upon Lisa Jo Baker and her Five Minute Friday series. If you’re unfamiliar with this series, I’ll give a brief explanation.
 
Every Friday, Lisa Jo Baker encourages her readers to set a timer and write for five minutes on her writing prompt for that day. The posts are short, sweet, unedited, and real.
 
Today’s prompt is “Change.” 
 
Change has never been easy for me.  Ha!  That may be the biggest understatement ever uttered (typed) in my 30 years of life. 
 
Two weeks from tomorrow, is my wedding day.  Getting married will be one of the most life-changing experiences I have ever embarked on.  As of right now, I am not feeling anxious about the marriage.  Danny understands me as no one else that I have dated before him.  I am nervous about a new sense of identity though.  Not only will I become his wife, but I will have a new name - Laurie Pechie. 
 
Yeah, I am still working on that one.  I have been Laurie Killmer for 30 years (and 5 months), so that is going to be quite an adjustment.  If nothing else my cursive P probably needs some work.  I still remember learning proper cursive in elementary school, and being chastised by my teacher for not doing the "x" correctly, and so I guess I lucked out that there will never be an "x" in my name.  I am not sure if she approved of my P's, though.  Oh the strange things I think about...
 
Even though there is no name changing involved for Danny, but please do not get me started on the unfairness of that one, it is still going to be a change for him.  He will be wearing a ring on his left hand, and for the first time he will be Mr. Pechie to my Mrs. Pechie.  Danny saw that in print for the first time last night, and started laughing when he realized that was referring to him rather than his father.
 
I guess we all react differently to change.  I think about cursive P's and Danny thinks of Mr. Pechie.
 
Five minutes goes by really quickly!
 
This was really fun and rather cathartic.  Perhaps you should try it.  What does change mean to you?

1 comment

  1. Love the idea of 5 minute Friday - I went over to Lisa Jo's site and I think I'm going to try it out next Friday.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.