Sunday, July 15, 2012

So I Have this Idea... Now What?



As a diversion to wedding planning, I am trying to purge stuff from our apartment.  Truth be told, most of the crap in this place is mine; so it is my responsibility to get rid of it.  I have found some real personal buried treasures.  For instance, as I was going through my boxes (read plural - five) of letters, which included pretty much everything anyone has ever sent me, one card my Grandmom was particularly special to me because of what was inside.  There was a coupon for Red Lobster (unfortunately it expired in 2008 - crud - missed opportunity), but there was also a clipping from her local paper.  You see my Grandmom is very thoughtful about sending coupons and clippings of interest to her "dear ones," as she calls us.  I remembered reading this when it first came; it struck a chord then and it has struck a chord now.

Q: Is there a company that offers trips to different baseball stadiums, where the participants would stay at the same hotel as the teams?  I would like to spend some time with my son next year visiting different ballparks.  - R.S.

A: Finding tours for sports fans is a frustrating process, since most are set up solely to sell package tours to big events, such as an all-star game, World Series, Super Bowl or NCAA basketball Final Four. ...  I have yet to find a sports tour operator with any imagination.  I think there's a big market for tours that take sports fans to various parks and halls of fame, even when no playoffs or big events are scheduled.

What if I could be such a sports tour operator?  It would be a dream come true to find a way to put my love of sports to good use, perhaps even one that pays.  I need to do some extensive research, but in the meantime it is fun to think about the possibilities.  For instance, what about a tour of all five teams in the American League Central (White Sox, Twins, Indians, Royals, and Tigers).  Or a cross country tour of stadiums designed by the architectural firm Populous, formerly HOK Sports, that are responsible for some of the most beautiful parks in all of my baseball (ESPN says so too, it is not just my opinion).  Their parks include, but are not limited to:  Coors Field, Denver; Progressive Field, Cleveland; PNC Park, Pittsburgh, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore; and Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim.  

There really is no limit to the kinds of tours that could be created if someone would just put some thought into it.  I would love to go on these tours, but how exciting to design and even lead them!

Perhaps this is that why not idea/moment I have been searching for...  Of course I can think of a million reasons why it will not work, but I am not ready to accept those just yet.

In the meantime, sports will continue to be a passionate hobby as I have been selected to join a team of female Bears Bloggers for a site called, Her Game Life.  My first post was published last week, Mrs. McCaskey, I Would Like Two Bears Tickets Please; so I hope you will follow me there too.

When I pitched this idea to Danny I am pretty sure the look he gave me was, "please let's get through the wedding first."  Okay, fine.  After that though, there may be no stopping me!

      


  

3 comments

  1. You need to do this before anyone else gets the idea!!! I love creative people! Go for it girl!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better yet, you might want to remove this post because you are giving someone the idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Research shows that making your goals public makes you more likely to acheive them....you made the first step. YAY YOU!

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.