Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How Did You Manage that One?



Quite a few people have asked how Danny and I managed to have our wedding at Coors Field.  The question is usually something along the lines of, "how did you manage that one?"  As if I had some kind of special connections.  Believe me, if wishing made it so. 

Really the story of how it came about is kind of boring, but I assure you the site visit was not.  The first thing we decided was to get married in Denver, and the next was to think of places that would be uniquely Denver/Colorado.  I liked the thought from a friend who said that she wanted to be married by a minister, but it did not have to be in a church.  Minister check!  As Danny said, which one of the many, many ministers in your life is going to marry us?  My colleague, Paul Bretz and my Dad will be filling that role, just for the record.  Our venue list included a couple places on or around Lookout Mountain, the Butterfly Pavilion, a manor in the "boondocks" west of Denver, and the Grant-Humphries Mansion (which I just found out is haunted).  Good thing we decided not to go with that one!  I will talk more about that situation in another post.  My Mom had told me a long time ago about a couple that were married at a minor league park, and Denise told me John once went to a wedding at the Bengals Stadium; so on something of a lark, I called Coors Field.  I don't even remember what number I used, but I asked the person who answered the phone rather timidly if weddings were ever held there.  I got a very strong, "oh yeah we do them all the time!"  To which I asked to speak to someone about it.

Next thing I know on a random Tuesday evening, Danny and I are walking up to the gates of Coors Field.  We were greeted by the sweetest woman who was working an event being held there that evening.  She called our contact, Heather to say we arrived.  We were then passed off to the next usher who took us through the depths of Coors Field, most of which I had never seen before.  Nor did I think I ever would again.  After planning events at work, I truly believe you have to feel good about your contact people; so the instant liking Danny and I both took to Heather helped guide our decision.  She had the logistics of her event under control yet she gave us the attention we needed.  Heather showed us the various reception spaces that would be appropriate for our group size, including the visitor's dugout.  Then she took us down on the field.  Oh my!  For a girl, such as myself, who grew up watching baseball I was just in awe.  I am pretty sure my mouth was just hanging open for at least a few seconds.  I was hooked!  As my Dad said, even if we didn't have the wedding there, the tour was sure worth it.

Once my parents confirmed that Coors Field was the perfect place for Danny and me, we began the process of picking a date.  The first step was waiting for the Rockies 2012 Schedule to be released, and then there were six couples ahead of us who had already signed contracts.  Fortunately for us they wanted summer dates whereas Danny and I were hoping for September/October.  The risky aspect of October is the possibility of the playoffs.  While the Rockies missed the postseason last year, we're hoping they will be in it this season.  Well the thought of our wedding getting bumped for a game was too stressful, and so we chose a weekend that the Rockies are out of town.  No chance of getting bumped by the team, and weather permitting Danny and I will be married at home plate.  Records show that September is the driest month in Colorado, so fingers crossed! 

During our site visit Heather shared that more often than not when a couple is considering Coors Field as their wedding location, it is usually the bride who is the baseball fanatic.  Yep, that's me!  Also, in an effort to give credit where its due, my Mom said when she came home from that wedding at the minor league park that I should consider something like that when my time came.  Who knew it would actually happen!

1 comment

  1. Haha...it is awesome. Also, not surprised the brides are the baseball fanatics since they are the ones making most of the decisions! :)

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.