Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Favorite Time of the Year

Since Selection Sunday this past weekend I have been taking every opportunity to share bits of Duke Basketball History with Danny.  It started with Greg Anthony, a member of the CBS SportsDesk for the Selection Show, who was on the UNLV teams of 1990 and 1991.  The 1990 team humiliated Duke in the championship game, but that all changed in 1991.  UNLV came into the Final Four undefeated, and found themselves once again matched up against Duke.  Well this time the outcome was different, Duke won the game 79-77 en route to their first of four National Championships under Coach K.  The other crazy thing about that particular Final Four is how close Duke and North Carolina were to competing in the title game, which has actually never happened.  UNC lost to Kansas 79-73 in the other National Semifinal.

While the Duke-Kentucky match-up of 1992 (pictured below) in the Elite Eight (Regional Final) would have come up anyway, it was made easier with Duke and Kentucky on a collision course in this year's South Region.  I will never forget that game or Thomas Hill's priceless reaction - Danny was laughing at me since I can do the commentary, "here's the pass to Laettner, puts it up, YYYYEEEESSSS!"

Unfortunately, I do not for see Duke making it this far this year.  Actually both my teams (Duke and IU) are in the South Region.  It is always hard to pick if and when my teams are going out of the tournament, but this year I have IU going farther than Duke.  Here's hoping my Dad will still speak to me... 

My brackets are officially submitted, but I used a lot of white-out.  One should always complete these things with a pencil.  Or take the approach of a multiple choice test, once you choose you don't second-guess your answer.   Against my better judgement (or wishes) I have Kentucky winning the championship.  I have never wanted to be more wrong in my life since I cannot stand John Calipari.  I am simply trying to redeem myself after a less than stellar Fantasy Football Season along with a dismal set of picks last year. 

Let the Madness Begin!  Oh I love this time of year!  And I love Danny for accepting that he is marrying a sports addict. 

1 comment

  1. I still remember watching this live as a family...so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.