Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ten on Tuesday: Ten "Pop Culture Phenomenon" that I just do not Understand




As the Ten on Tuesday series continues, I present Ten "Pop Culture Phenomenon" that I just do not Understand. Please keep in mind I do not mean any offense if you are passionate about any of the phenomenon on my list, except perhaps for Stephen A. Smith, if you are a fan of his we may need to have a talk. I am fully aware that many things I enjoy are baffling to others (e.g. sports on the whole or specific teams, I Love Lucy, The West Wing, etc.).

Truly only in spirit of fun, I present my list:

10. Analyst, Stephen A. Smith
To call this man a phenomenon would just further feed his larger than life ego, but he makes the list all the same. I am not sure where Stephen A. Smith, and his ever-present look of complete disdain/boredom (I do not think his eyes open all the way) came from, but I really wish he would go back to wherever that is - he especially needs to stop invading my morning drive to work by appearing on Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio. Fortunately the end of the NBA season tends to mean a reprieve from Stephen A. Smith. If anyone has information on his background, please let me know.

9. Book, The Great Gatsby
I have read this book twice, once as a junior in high school, and then once for a boy (the relationship did not work out). This guy was an English Literature major as an undergrad, and just raved about The Great Gatsby. I explained that I liked very few things that I read for that class, but attributed most of it to a less than stellar class experience. So I decided to give it another go. Nope, still do not like it nor do I truly understand it especially the ending (or lack thereof, in my opinion). I am contemplating seeing the movie in an attempt to grasp the appeal felt by many, but that will definitely be a Redbox (read: $1.25) investment.

8. Reality TV Stars, The Kardashians
In the spirit of true honesty I will admit with my head down that I have watched bits and pieces of the reality show, Keeping up with the Kardashians. It is very "train-wreck-like" in that I don't really enjoy it, yet I cannot stop looking at it. I think I just really struggle with the concept of "being famous for being famous," or whatever explanation they offer for their prominence in the magazines that I often see at the grocery store/Target check-out. I refuse to let them invade my "Off the Path" project - I have not put many parameters on that project, but that is definitely one!

7. Food, Sushi
One word: texture. My family/friends will tell you that I have always been a picky eater, although I hope I can get credit for trying really hard to get better, but sushi is not something I can stomach. I will forever be a person who lets texture determine my food choices - scrambled eggs are another "absolutely never going to happen!" I will go to a restaurant that serves sushi so that Danny can eat it, and proceed to find something else on the menu or drink water. I am a good water drinker - it is what I do at all those breweries I have visited.

6. Books, Movies: Harry Potter, Twilight, Lord of the Rings
I have a rationalization for why I have not gotten into Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, but come up short on Twilight. HP came out when I was in college, at a time when reading for "fun" was not happening; an ex-boyfriend ruined LOTR, enough said. The only plausible explanation I have for Twilight is that I have never been into the whole horror movie genre (e.g. vampires, werewolves, etc.) Plus I have taken a lot of grief over the years for the lack of pallor to my skin tone - so perhaps seeing all those white/pale-faced people just hit a little too close to home. The only series in this group that stands a chance is Harry Potter. I have a stack of books to get through by the end of 2013, and once that is done I will beg, borrow,  or steal some one's Harry Potter books, and hope for the best.

5. "Quarterback," Tim Tebow
Oh Tim, you got a raw deal. As it has been well-documented, at least in my own mind, I am not a fan of college football. So I did not follow Tebow's career at the University of Florida, although I was aware of all the hype around his scrambling first, throwing second predilection. My first two years of college, my Hoosiers who contrary to popular belief do in fact have a football team, had a quarterback (Antwaan Randle El) who I think was very "Tebow-like" did find success on the NFL level as a wide receiver. I thought for sure that was what would happen to Tebow, until Josh McDaniels went and blew the Broncos entire draft on this kid. That was the beginning of the end for Tebow since I do not know how anyone lives up to such lofty expectations? I also remain embittered by the fact that Danny has witnessed two Tebow 4th Quarter comebacks, the second of which was against my beloved Bears. After being cut by the Jets earlier this year, it looks like Tebow will be reunited with McDaniels in New England. Back-up to Tom Brady, interesting thought...

4. Singer, Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift recently came to Denver, and some of the radio stations were giving away tickets to her concert. One caller, who admitted she is 18 years old, was told by the DJ that she is too old for Taylor. While he was (probably) not serious, perhaps that explains why I find her lyrics to be self-aggrandizing and her voice un-enjoyable. As someone who has been dumped by many a boyfriend, I will tell you that I don't want to hear about her troubles anymore than I want to revisit my own; thank you.

3. Basketball Team, The Miami Heat
Just as I do not watch college football, I can no longer get excited about the NBA. Although I sure did want the Heat to lose to the Pacers in Game 7, for no other reason that I do not like feeling as though the most expensive payroll guarantees championships. The Heat is comprised primarily of the "Big Three" (Lebron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade) who made a ridiculous spectacle of themselves when they were brought together in Miami, and according to tell I heard on my morning commute two of the Big Three (Wade and Bosh) seem to have forgotten to show up in the Eastern Conference finals. I have always preferred to watch players I can respect as people, which is why the recent retirement of Grant Hill was bittersweet. Although a current player who emulates Hill's heart, both on and off the court, is Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder. There is a player/team I can randomly get behind!

2. Twitter/Instagram, #Tags
The other night over grilled, individual pizzas Danny and I received a lesson on #tags (pronounced: hash tags). It started with a discussion of the Mariah Carey song, #Beautiful, which before that night I had not heard, and went from there to places that cannot be properly explained other than you have to know these two lovely, very humorous ladies. Just as people were appalled that I could plan a wedding without  Pinterest (which come to think of it would be number 11 on this list), I should probably have an active Twitter account to spread my Bears writing for On Her Game; but both Pinterest and Twitter freak me out. I have an annoying habit/tendency to over think things, and I believe that is my problem with #tags. Perhaps in time, I will overcome this fear, and fully immerse myself in Twitter. Better yet, I will ask my sister Stephanie for a lesson, although last I knew I was still waiting for approval to follow her... This is probably an indication that I should check my Twitter account.

1. Venue, Wrigley Field
As I was creating this list, I struggled for a couple of the "filler phenomenon," but I knew from the start what would receive top billing. Now many think my grievance with Wrigley is that it is home of the Chicago Cubs, "rival" to my beloved White Sox; but actually I take issue with the stadium itself not the typically bad team that plays on its field. I find Wrigley Field to be the main reason why the Cubs fail to compete year after year. The owners have no incentive to put money into the roster in any significant way since people continue to fill the "friendly confines." Although I hear from a friend, aka my Cubs ticket connection, that many games last year failed to sell out because the ticket prices were too high - apparently there is a limit to what people will pay to watch lousy baseball. Who knew?

I will end with an embarrassing personal story that may have sealed the fate of Wrigley from my personal perspective, even if it wasn't really the stadiums fault. Back in high school I had a crush on a boy who was an avid Cubs fan, so I bought two tickets and asked him to go. He turned me down, so my Dad agreed to go with me so that tickets would not go to waste.  This was also the (first and) last time I ever tried to use my love of sports to impress a boy since it did not work! My sister, Denise was also there with a group of her friends who had tickets in another part of the stadium. As my Dad went to get the car, I waited in the rain to meet them. I was standing there with my souvenir cup in hand, and someone put a dollar in it! I was mortified because all I could think is, "this is why that boy turned me down - I look like a vagabond!" On the bright side, I was a dollar richer because I was too stunned to give it back. Sorry Wrigley, you pay the price for having a thoughtful patron who gave an awkward high school girl a dollar.

Is there pop culture phenomenon that you don't understand?


Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.