Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Few of my Favorite Ornaments



As I have already shared, Christmas is by far my favorite holiday.  I tend to set up the Christmas tree as quickly as possible, primarily because I cannot wait to bring the ornament collection out of storage.  I have quite a few.  So many in fact that Danny has suggested getting me a little tree for our bedroom.  That may be a post-Christmas clearance purchase, or perhaps we will just opt for a larger tree.
 
Each ornament has meaning to me; almost all of them were gifts.  I do not like to buy my own ornaments.  Rather, I like when someone else picks them out, either because they think of me or it holds significance to them.  Most of my ornament collection is from my grandparents who used to give each of us one annually.  This was one of two gifts that could be opened on Christmas Eve. 
 
I have also enjoyed seeing how Danny has also taken to adding to the collection.  When we spent our first Christmas together (2010), he brought one (ONE!) Star Trek ornament - the Starship Enterprise that lights up on the top - with him.  Now he has around five that are specifically his or are "ours together".  For instance, the ornament in between the two eggs and Raggedy Ann is from Pike's Peak.  We bought it shortly after Danny proposed. 
 
Another thing I love about bringing out the ornaments box is looking at the dates on each one.  Almost all of them have a year on them, except this random wooden reindeer.   I have absolutely no idea where it came from, or if it is even mine, hopefully I will remember to ask my Dad about it. 
 
I think most of the ornaments that I took pictures of need little to no explanation (e.g. the ESPN TV or the Bears "player"), but here are a few words on the others:
 
  • The eggs: my Grandmom and Grandpop (Killmer) bought those in back to back years.  They are personalized with my name on it, and are quite detailed and beautiful.
  • After Pike's Peak is Raggedy Ann - I had a lot of Raggedy Ann and Andy things from when I was little.  This ornament is circa 1983.
  • Spike wanted to be sure that I point his ornament out - top right hand corner. That was a gift from Grandma Pechie. He likes knowing that he will be forever immortalized on our Christmas tree.
  • The pink ball marks Baby's First Christmas (1982). 
  • Grant Hill is still one of my all-time favorite basketball players (and crushes, which Danny does not appreciate very much).
  • The Gingerbread House and Twister Roller Coaster ornaments are both nods to the grandparents, Killmer.  For years and years my grandparents would make a wonderful gingerbread house, and bring it out with them all the way from Pennsylvania.  Many wonderful memories exist around those houses because each one was invariably different but never failed to taste great!  The Twister is a wooden roller coaster at Knoebels Amusement Park in Elysburg, PA.  We went every summer for years, and always had a blast!
  • This ornament was definitely a school project - me in 1986 - an "awwww" will hopefully now ensue.
 
I always enjoy hearing about other families' Christmas traditions.  Please feel free to share yours with me.
 
Happy Holidays to you and yours.
 
With love,
Laurie
 
 
 
 

Post a Comment

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.